Tuesday 22 September 2009

Talk Art Tuesday - Gel Transfers

I'm no expert on image transfers. As a matter of fact, I've only tried them a few times, with mixed results. It does seem that there are about a million ways to do them though. I stumbled across this video by Darlene Olivia McElroy, known as 'collagegoddess' on youtube. Her technique is pretty simple, is different about it is that she wets the paper that she is transferring the image from, so that it dries at the same rate as the matte medium. I've never heard of anyone else doing that and it makes a lot of sense.

I love that she uses images more to layer in texture and interesting imagery, rather than using someone else's image as a major part of the art. The pieces she transfers an image onto started out very interesting to begin with, but the transfer added a spectacular dimension to it. It's got me itching to try it out for myself! With several commissions and a deadline though, it will have to wait. :(

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails