I was working on a new girl recently. I liked the colors, texture and pattern and thought she was going well...until I picked her up and had a close look. Then I realized her face shape was really lopsided and her eyes were different sizes and very unevenly spaced in relation to her nose. I don't know how I managed NOT to notice unil the whole thing was nearly finished. Doh!
I didn't want to completely scrap her, so I left her for a few days and came back with fresh eyes to make some adjustments. Rather than repainting her entire face, I decided to sweep her hair partially over her face, which made it easier to bring the eye closer to the nose where it belonged. I ended up with a very sultry looking girl and managed to salvage all the things I liked about the painting in the first place. Talk about your happy accidents!