Thursday 14 April 2011

Poem in Your Pocket Day on Thumbs Up Thursday

I have never been a fan of poetry. I truly appreciate the skill and passion it takes to express one's emotions through the written word, but can only remember actually being moved by two poems in my entire life. The first time was when Ponyboy recited "Nothing Gold Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost in the movie, "The Outsiders". I had a massive crush on the stars, C. Thomas Howell and Ralph Macchio, so to be honest, I can't even swear it was the poem I was moved by. It's entirely possible it was my 13 year old hormones talking!

The second time was tonight, while I was speaking to my best friend over Skype. Today is "Poem in Your Pocket" day and Alec, her 9 year old son, wrote an original poem and decorated his own pocket during class today. He showed it to his mom, who in turn read it to me. My heart fluttered! It actually fluttered for poetry! Alec profoundly said so much in such a simple, succinct way and I gotta tell ya, I was impressed! He wrote the poem all by himself. His mom helped him to change it from paragraph style to a line for each sentence, but the poem itself is all him! If only we were all as wise as Alec. I think the world would be a far better place. Anyone who can move me with poetry definitely gets a big thumbs up!




JUST IMAGINE
by Alec, age 9

Imagine when Time is as fine as sand
As smooth as a stone and as peaceful as a dove.
Imagine when Martin Luther King Jr said, "I have a dream."
Imagine the peace-makers of tomorrow.
Life can be as dreary as a foggy day, or as boring as a rock.
But all you have to do is think it, and you're there.
Just imagine when everybody will know how
To make Peace in the world.

  Written for
 'Poem in your Pocket' Day
  April 14, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Love this post and poetry, too.
    My minor in college was creative writing.

    So glad I found you through the miz kate dot com Artist blog hop!
    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!
    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails