I write an art and craft column for the fabulous family oriented magazine, NI4Kids. Be sure to visit their website to see all of the step-by-step photos of this project, as lots of other fun crafts to try out!
There is nothing like a good old fashioned scare on Halloween and this creepy-crawly spider is sure to get a few hearts racing! It’s so quick and easy to make, that you can create tons of them.
Supplies needed: black craft foam, masking tape, double-sided tape, pencil, string, scissors, 4 black pipe cleaners and googly eyes.
1. Place the masking tape on top of the black craft foam. Trace around the centre of it to create a circle. Repeat this step on another area of the foam, so that you end up with two circles.
2. Cut the circles out and set aside.
3. Gather the 4 pipe cleaners together, with the ends as even as possible. Wrap a piece of masking tape around them.
4. Tape the pipe cleaners on to one of the circles.
5. Cut a long piece of string and tape it to the same circle.
6. Apply double-sided tape around the edges of the circle. It helps to tear it into small pieces.
7. Remove the backing paper from the tape and apply the second circle on top. Press firmly to make sure the circles are well stuck together.
8. Apply double-sided tape to the back of googly eyes and attach toward the top of the circle.
9. Spread the pipe cleaners apart. Bend and curve them until they resemble spider legs.
10. Hang your spider from the ceiling or a doorway and watch your friends jump! For an extra creepy-crawly effect, get some stretchable spider web decoration for the spider to live in.
Top tip: If you don’t have double sided tape, just fold a regular piece of tape and overlap the edges, so that it’s sticky all the way around.
To see more creative project ideas, subscribe to: www.youtube.com/joliedennison and www.facebook.com/jolieart.